With a podcast, you want people to be able to find your show. One of the best and essential directories you want to have your show listed in, is iTunes. Now you can just put your information into the iTunes or you can enter the needed information the correct way and increase you chances of being found when a person searches for a show or your topic.
How to set up
Start off with a good foundation. This is the your setup on your blog. If you are using WordPress then more than likely you will be using the PowerPress plugin. If you are using Tumblr or another free blogging service then you are probably using FeedBurner to tag your feed. In both you want to make use that you have plenty of keywords in your show title, tagline, and description. There are these three place you can place your keywords and help your show appear before more potential audience members. Yet, Dont do “Keyword Stuffing” and it is evident when a person is keyword stuffing. Keyword stuffing is when a person tries to place as many keywords as they possibly can into each field. So, do not go overboard on the keyword use your key words and put them into proper sentences. That actually turns me off from a podcast when I see “Super Mega Social Media Podcast | podcast social media Facebook twitter Google plus weedeater lawn care hot russian chicks” I see something like that, I get the red flag that the podcast host may not know all that they are talking about and are just looking to garner hits and sell you something.
So, You might want to use something more along the lines of “Super Mega Social Media Podcast | We are the Experts on all Social Media platforms.” With a Tag line of “Keep up with Social Media Jones” And keep that up with the description. Tell a story in your description. Remember, you are selling here, you are giving your pitch to the listener as to why they should listen to your podcast. So, explain who, what and why. If need be, get inspiration from your about page.
Where do you put the Title, description, and all that jazz?
So, where do you put these magical settings? That will be in one of two places. Depending on which tagging service you are using, PowerPress or Feed Burner.
For PowerPress users you settings will be in the PowerPress menu in your Admin Settings. In PowerPress you will see a tab at the top that is labeled iTunes, and we will also be doing some edits in the Feeds tab. First the Feeds Tab. In this tab we are going to the “Feeds Settings” and the two fields that need to be edited are the Feed Title and the Feed Description. The Title is your show title for example my iTunes title is currently
“Podcast Dojo | Learn how to podcast like a master by understanding podcasting techniques, podcasting equipment and social media”
It has the keywords I want in there without it being spammy, that is because it is worked into an actual sentence. The Description here is a lot of the same
Podcasting is exploding! It seems that everyone is starting a podcast. Yet, many people end up doing it wrong. They follow sales pitchy blog posts about how to start a podcast in 4 easy steps only to find out that the “easy steps” have enormous gaps that are missing critical details. These details that can block you from your audience. I am glad you have the podcasting bug and there is a LOT of information that you need to know as you learn to podcast, but that information is not difficult to learn. This show will help you plan out your show, build your audience, and explain the power of podcasting. While talking about podcasting tips, and podcasting strategy. I desire nothing more than to help you realise that this is a new medium, that is different from any other medium out there because you will have an amazing relationship with someone who WANTS to listen to you.
The keywords I want people to find me with are found in this description like Starting a podcast, how to start a podcast, and learn to podcast. Now the reason that these are phrases instead of keywords like social media, or podcasting equipment. That is because, long form searches are becoming more and more popular. People want to search more by phrases and as iTunes improves their search algorithm I see it going to a more phrase based search. While at the same time iTunes still does most of it searches by actual keywords. There for you want to make sure that you do have those keywords into the description and title.
The next tab is the iTunes tab and this tab you want to make sure you get this filled out properly because it can cost you some listeners. Since this is the case Lets go over each field starting from the top down.
- iTunes Subscription URL – This is the URL that you are given when you are accepted into iTunes. It typically look like https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/name-of-your-show/id000000000 If you have lost that URL, don’t worry go into iTunes and search the store for your show. once you find it and you go to your in-store page right-click (For Windows users) and choose “Copy URL”. That is the URL you will need. Paste the URL into this field and remove the “?mt=2” at the very end you really don’t need it.
- iTunes Program Subtitle – This is your Tag line another good place to insert some good keyword rich description
- iTunes Program Summary – More space for Keywords but just don’t get spammy about it. Again make sure it fits our podcast and the keywords are actual parts of the sentence.
- iTunes Episode Summary – Leave “Optimize iTunes Summary from Blog Posts” unchecked
- iTunes Program Keywords – Here you are limited to 12 keywords separated by commas. So, choose the best 12 keyword you can think of. and if you think of a better on you can always trade out a lesser keyword for the better keyword
- iTunes Category – This is the genre of your show. what category does your show fit into, and choose the most specific. We know your show is a podcast so unless it deals with podcasting do not put it in the podcasting category.
- iTunes Category 2 – Another category your podcast would fit into
- iTunes Category 3 – Rinse and repeat with another category your show would fit into.
- iTunes Explicit – If you use lots of blue words in each podcast episode. You will need to choose the explicit tag. If you make an effort to not have any swearing, in your show, then I would use the Clean tag
- iTunes Talent Name – This is your name.
- iTunes Email – This is the email address you can be reached at and is required
- iTunes New Feed URL – You will only use this if you are changing your RSS feed
Next you will need to go to the tab Art Work.
- iTunes Image – This image should be your album art at 1400 X 1400 pixels place the URL that the image can be found at
- iTunes Episode Image – this is if you have episode specific images you are wanting to use.
- RSS2 Image – again use your album art but keep it at 300 x 300 even though the info on the settings says you can use your iTunes album art. Not the best because 1400 x 1400 is huge and when you view your feed in a rss rendering it will take up your whole screen and force your listeners to have to scroll down a ways before they see your episodes.
Be Yourself! This is actually a node to the previous episode On personal branding and how people can tell a fake. There is an article that is talking about how the rapper Eminem has just rocketed out of the gates with his new album while Lady Gaga’s newest release fizzled and is laying spent in the gutter. The reason is because people don’t really like fake people. There is a quote from the article that sums it up.
“…his instant commercial triumph demonstrates the readiness of a discerning world public to respond to power and passion of voice rather than to manipulative gimmicks or exhibitionistic stunts.” – The Sunday Times
Or in other words if you are authentic and your show displays your passion, people will can not help themselves but be attracted. People like passion, that is what draws them to your show.
Now many people who use iTunes they there is a small flaw with how iTunes is set up. trying to find all of the comments to your show is cumbersome. you have to scroll down to the bottom click the flag and change to another country to see if there are any comments listed. One guy saw this problem and took action and created Comment cast. it took all of the comments and ratings and put them all together in one place so that it was easy to find. Except it was Mac only so us windows users were still left to the hard way of gathering comments. That is till now. The makers of Comment cast are dropping commentcast and starting up a web app called Reviewcast.io and this is the solution for everybody. you will be able to get your last 25 comments emails to you for free for now, no mater what OS you use.